skip to Main Content
ISVA Members: COVID-19 Guidance can be found in the Information and Policies section of the Members Area
ISVA: Putting the client first 020 8882 4896

Alternative Dispute Resolution Options

From Ian Vicary, ISVA Chairman

It seems to me from various queries made by members that there is some confusion about what choices, if any, are available to surveyors for Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR).

Obviously RICS has encouraged most of its members to use its own CEDR option for ADR.  However, to clarify, RICS members do have a choice and can use The Property Ombudsman (TPO) as their ADR provider.

It should be noted that there is a cost element for using TPO whereas, if an RICS member uses CEDR, there is no initial charge.  But, as we all know, experience teaches us that it’s not all about the money, but about the result!

You may be interested to read the extract of my email exchange with TPO below:

Email from Ian Vicary to The Property Ombudsman 11 June 2020:

“Please remind me – does your organisation cover ADR for property surveying? The extract below from RICS (italics) is somewhat unclear: The Property Ombudsman (TPO) is free to consumers and the Standards and Regulation Board has approved it for all surveying service complaints. The TPO is an approved redress scheme for residential estate agents in the United Kingdom under the Consumers, Estate Agents and Redress Act 2007, and for residential lettings/managing agents under the Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act 2013. Firms wishing to use the TPO as their redress provider for estate agency complaints must apply to join.”

Reply from TPO to Ian Vicary 16 June 2020:

“We gained permission at the beginning of the year from the RICS regarding surveying complaints, therefore we can act for RICS and Non RICS members as an ADR for surveying complaints and any that carryout estate agency work. Please visit: CEDR are still providers too for RICS members.”

Back To Top